4 March 1785, formed from Lancaster County.
In 1813, the eastern part of Dauphin County became Lebanon County.
County Government Records:
Dauphin County Courthouse
101 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Phone: (717) 780-6500
- Birth and Death Records*: contact the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans Court for 1894-1905
- Marriage Records: Contact the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans Court 1887-present
- Divorce Records: contact the Prothonotary for 1887-present
- Probate Records**: contact the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans Court for 1785-present
- Land Records: contact the Recorder of Deeds for 1785-present
*The State of Pennsylvania began issuing Birth and Death Certificates in 1906. Indices can be found at: www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Research-Online
**Images of original Will and Orphan’s Court Books for each county in Pennsylvania can be found online at Family Search in Pennsylvania Probate Records, www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196
Historical and Genealogical Repositories:
Historical Society of Dauphin County
Alexander Family Research Library and Archives
21 North Pitt Street
Carlisle, PA 17013
- Extensive local history collection, maps
- Scrapbooks, yearbooks, account ledgers, newspaper clippings
- Church and cemetery records
- Letters, diaries, manuscripts
- Over 1 million photographs
- Recommended to email ahead to verify resources available and if open – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research by mail available: www.dauphincountyhistory.org Choose > “Research”
Copyright ©2019, Denys Allen and PA Ancestors. All Rights Reserved.
Feel free to link to original article. To otherwise use, please contact me.