12 March 1800, formed from Allegheny County
In 1850, a boundary line dispute between Erie and Crawford Counties was settled.
County Government Records:
Erie County Courthouse
140 West Sixth Street
Erie, PA 16501
Phone: (814) 451-6237
- Birth and Death Records*: contact the Register of Wills for 1893-1905
- Marriage Records: Contact the Register of Wills 1885-present
- Divorce Records: contact the Prothonotary for 1885-present
- Probate Records**: contact the Register of Wills for 1823-present
- Land Records: contact the Recorder of Deeds for 1823-present
- In 1823, a Courthouse fire destroyed all county records.
*The State of Pennsylvania began issuing Birth and Death Certificates in 1906. Indices can be found at: www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Research-Online
**Images of original Will and Orphan’s Court Books for each county in Pennsylvania can be found online at Family Search in Pennsylvania Probate Records, www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196
Historical and Genealogical Repositories:
Erie County Historical Society
Kings-Mertens Archival Storage Building
356 West 6th Street
Erie, PA 16507
- Extensive local history collection, maps
- Diaries, letters, correspondence
- Robert J. MacDonald Great Lakes Maritime History collection
- Appointments required: Call (814) 454-1813
- Research by mail available through the volunteer group, Erie Society for Genealogical Research. Call (814) 454-1813 to inquire.
Erie County Public Library
Blasco Memorial Library Heritage Room
160 East Front Street
Erie, PA 16507
- Family histories, local genealogies
- Obituary index, city directories
- Local newspapers on microfilm
- Research by mail available through the volunteer group, Erie Society for Genealogical Research. Call (814) 454-1813 or firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
Erie County Maritime Museum: www.flagshipniagara.org
Copyright ©2019, Denys Allen and PA Ancestors. All Rights Reserved.
Feel free to link to original article. To otherwise use, please contact me.