14 October 1748, formed from Lancaster County.
In 1800, Adams County is created from the western part of York County.
County Government Records:
York County Archives
150 Pleasant Acres Road
York, PA 17402
Phone: (717) 840-7222
York County Government
45 North George Street
York, PA 17401
Phone: (717) 771 – 9288
- Birth and Death Records*: contact the York County Archives for 1893-1905. Searchable index on website.
- Marriage Records: Contact the York County Archives for 1885-1949. Searchable index on website. Contact the Orphan’s Court for 1949 – present.
- Divorce Records: contact the Prothonotary for 1885-present
- Probate Records**: contact the York County Archives for 1748-1985. Searchable index on website.
- Land Records: contact the York County Archives for 1749-1943. Searchable index on website. Contact the Recorder of Deeds for 1944 – present.
*The State of Pennsylvania began issuing Birth and Death Certificates in 1906. Indices can be found at: www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Research-Online
**Images of original Will and Orphan’s Court Books for most counties in Pennsylvania can be found online at Family Search in Pennsylvania Probate Records, www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196
Historical and Genealogical Repositories:
York County History Center
Library & Archives
250 East Market Street
York, PA 17401
- Searchable family reports database on website
- Family group sheets and family genealogies
- Birth, death, and marriage records
- Wills and Orphan’s Court indexes
- Deed indexes
- Tax records
- Local histories
- Cemetery surveys
- Digitized local newspapers
- Research by mail available on website www.yorkhistorycenter.org and choose “Library”
Copyright ©2019, Denys Allen and PA Ancestors. All Rights Reserved.
Feel free to link to original article. To otherwise use, please contact me.